According to the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, evidence based treatment is defined as the “[a]dherence to psychological approaches and techniques that are based on scientific evidence”. Over time the definition has expanded to include “consideration of patients’ preferences, actions, clinical state, and circumstances” (Cook et al., 2017).
Likewise, the importance of an evidence-based technique in treating drug addiction cannot be stressed enough. Those who come to drug addiction facilities need cost-effective solutions that are rooted in research and science. Studies reveal that when using evidence based treatments, patients spend less time in therapy and therefore it is more cost and time effective.
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy: An Example of Evidence Based Treatment
Research exists proving that several different therapies work for different types of conditions. Dialectical behavior therapy is one example of evidence based treatment that works well for substance abuse, although it is not the only one.
Developed in the late 1980s by Dr. Lineham and her team, dialectical behavioral therapy is a standard therapy for substance abuse. During their studies, they discovered that change occurs best when opposing forces fight it out. Dialectical behavioral therapy is based on three foundations:
- All things are interconnected
- Change is inevitable and always occurring
- Opposites can connect to bring one closer to the truth
However, how does this philosophy play out in practical terms in the therapy sessions? Here are the four key components to dialectical behavioral therapy.
1. Mindfulness: This part of the therapy helps the person become present at the moment, mindful of what is happening.
2. Tolerance to Distress: During this part of therapy, the patient learns skills to accept difficult situations and emotions and deal with them appropriately. Instead of turning to self-harming behavior, the patient learns positive responses to distress.
3. Interpersonal Strength: The patient learns how to be strong in their interpersonal relationships. Sometimes people who abuse drugs are prone to peer pressure. This will teach them strategies for saying no when needed.
4. Emotional Control: When emotions are overwhelming and difficult to handle, the patient will learn better coping skills. Instead of resorting to past behaviors or thinking that were hurtful, you learn ways to control your emotions.
What to Expect During Treatment
When you begin dialectical behavioral therapy at an evidence based treatment center, you will primarily undergo individual sessions with a trained therapist. The therapy sessions provide an opportunity for you to learn the four skill components.
In addition, many treatment centers also have group therapy sessions where you can practice your skills and talk about some of the things you’ve learned. For example, if you are struggling with a particular issue or skill, this would be a place to get feedback from others who are undergoing the same type of therapy. You can also share some of your experiences with the group and talk about what has worked well for you.
Finding an Evidence Based Treatment Facility
At Gateway Foundation Pekin, we provide evidence based treatments for substance abuse as well as mental health disorders. We’ve been operating for over five decades helping over 1 million people with the researched therapies that lead them to a new life of hope and healing. Some of the many therapies we offer include:
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- 12 Step Program
- Group Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
Additionally, our rehab center offers unique and compassionate care to help men and women from all circumstances get the addiction treatment they need.
Don’t let drugs hold you down in life. You can overcome your addiction by getting evidence based treatment at a quality drug rehab. Contact us at 3093467800, and we’ll get you started on the pathway of healing.